Modern marketing communications have moved away from a pitch to share an engaging plot ... stories that pull in a reader and make them want to connect with the brand, product, or person.
Stories command attention, build emotion, and change perceptions. That’s why great speakers use stories, why CEOs infuse storytelling into company cultures, and why leading career professionals use stories to transform their client’s critical facts into fascinating narratives.
If you are ready to write materials that captivate readers, differentiate clients from the competition, and open the door to conversation, this advanced program is for you!
In this program, instructors Louise Kursmark, Deb Dib, and Marie Zimenoff will share a step-by-step process for gathering stories and writing content that connects with your client’s target audience: from resumes and cover letters to profiles, professional introductions, formal bios, and more.
You’ll walk away with:
- an understanding of the neuroscience behind stories so you can strengthen the connection with your reader
- tools to identify client brand attributes and gather stories so you communicate your client’s unique promise of value in their voice (which also means you'll write faster!)
- steps (with examples!) to turn stories into content in a variety of ways so you can write stories for more traditional clients and those who want to be bold with their stories
- confidence based on experience writing storied resumes, profiles, and more, with detailed written feedback from instructors and peer input (structured and instructor-facilitated in class)
- lifetime inclusion in the Academy Certified Career Storyteller directory, RWA community conversations, and other perks offered to RWA graduates (no renewals and no membership required to maintain certification)
If you want to be confident in writing powerfully fresh and compelling client materials – join us for this in-depth training!
COURSE OUTLINE & SCHEDULE
All classes will be recorded and you will have lifetime access to the recordings.
BONUS & Pre-work:
Session 2: May 19, 12:00 to 1:30 PM ET
Session 3: June 2, 12:00 to 1:30 PM ET
Session 4: June 9, 12:00 to 1:30 PM ET
Final Project: Portfolio of Documents (Use a Client Project or a Case Study)
All storytellers are welcome! Participants are expected to have an intermediate understanding of resume writing strategy, design, and writing.
1. Completion of the Academy Certified Resume Writer program or Academy Certified Profile Writer program (other certifications may be accepted as substitutes; please email Marie for consideration) OR
2. Successful application for CTL Master Resume Writer credential OR
3. Completion of a grammar assignment (provided when you apply to the program) AND evaluation of a sample resume demonstrating understanding or resume fundamentals in strategy, writing, and design as these will not be covered in this advanced course. It is not intended that this option exclude people from the certification, but offer an opportunity to "get on the same page" regarding resume fundamentals so the focus of assignment feedback for the course can be on storytelling.
About the Instructors
One of my heroes, author Dr. Brené Brown, talks about "Daring Greatly." And like many of my clients and colleagues, I did.
As a resume writer/executive career advisor, I have a single goal for each client: To tell his or her career story in a way that is memorable, meaningful, relevant, succinct, and interesting. Today, that means:
► Writing for today’s readers—shorter, tighter, harder-hitting copy.
► Getting to the heart of what makes each person unique and valuable.
► Unearthing and revealing personal, insightful details that illuminate character, personality, and motivations.
My own career journey has been a thrill ride since I launched my business back in the “dark ages” before the internet existed, when working from home was viewed as a quaint oddity and newspapers still published want ads. I’ve seen almost everything, thrived through it all, and continuously upgraded my skills to bring the best and the latest to my clients.
My wisest business decisions have sprung from my mantra, “find and work with smart, successful people.” I’ve partnered with Wendy Enelow on countless book projects and professional activities, including launching Resume Writing Academy and Career Thought Leaders; now I’m delighted to team with our successor, Marie Zimenoff, and the fabulous Deb Dib on this storytelling certification.
On a personal level, I've seen first-hand the power of setting clear, achievable, yet ambitious goals—and the thrill of reaching them. In the last few years I set my sights on a few mountaintops. I learned to swim, completed my first triathlon (then second, then third!), and had a personal essay published in the Boston Globe. In working with clients and with students, I get great joy from helping them achieve their own goals and reach their own mountaintops.
What’s next? While we can’t foresee the future, I confidently predict that our skills as career storytellers will be in increasing demand as job seekers struggle to get noticed in an increasingly crowded, competitive, and depersonalized market. We help them stand out with an authentic presence and valid, relevant experiences (stories) that resonate with employers.
Entrepreneur. Speaker. Leader. I never imagined holding these roles; my natural analytical tendencies didn’t lend to risk taking. Belief in the power of proactive career management overruled my introversion, driving me out of my comfort zone to build and lead a business.
We are always here to answer your questions and work with you one-on-one to reach your writing goals! Feel free to contact us at any time. You can use this link to set up a time to talk with Marie Zimenoff about the program: https://my.timetrade.com/book/B46DN